/> English with Mrs Plat: What is the cockney accent?

Cyberbullying

Cyberbullying

Saturday, December 5, 2015

What is the cockney accent?


What or who is a Cockney?

A cockney traditionally is a person born within hearing distance of the sound of Bow bells, meaning within the sound of the bells of the Church of St Mary Le Bow in Cheapside, London, and refers to an East London accent, however to most people living outside London the term Cockney means a Londoner.

What is Cockney Rhyming Slang?

Cockney Rhyming slang is a coded language invented in the nineteenth century by Cockneys so they could speak in front of the police without being understood. It uses a phrase that rhymes with a word, instead of the word itself – thus ‘stairs’ becomes ‘apples and pears’, ‘phone’ becomes ‘dog and bone'.

Somes examples:

Cockney
Meaning
Example
Adam and Eve
Believe
I don't Adam and Eve it!
Apples and Pears
Stairs
Get yer Bacons up the Apples and Pears.
Army and Navy
Gravy
Pass the Army and Navy.
Artful Dodger
Lodger
I've got an Artful to help pay the rent.
Bacon and Eggs
Legs
You have got a lovely set of Bacons.
Barnet Fair
Hair
I have just got my Barnet chopped.
Brass bands
Hands
I shook him by the Brass.
Bread and Honey
Money
I wish I had loads of Bread.
Butcher's Hook
Look
Take a Butcher's at that!
Christian Slater
Later
See ya Slater.
Cream Crackered
Knackered (tired/broken)
I'm Cream Crackered!
Currant Bun
Sun
The Currant Bun's hot today.
Danny Marr
Car
I'll give you a lift in the Danny.
Dicky Bird
Word
He hasn't said a Dicky bird in hours.
Dog and Bone
Phone
She's always on the Dog.
Donkey's Ears
Years
Ain't seen you in Donkeys.
Ham'n'cheesy
Easy
Ham'n'cheesy does it.
Jam Jar
Car
Me Jam Jar's Cream Crackered.

No comments:

Post a Comment